It's Beckett's world - you just live in it.

Thursday, November 26, 2009

My adopterashun

There is a big story behind yesterday's picture but I'll save that for another day. Lots of pups are telling their adopterashun stories today and I want to join in.

In August of 2007 Mom moved from Massachewsetts to Babablama to take a job. She didn't know anyone here and she was starting a new career, so she was nervous and thought she might be making a big mistake. But she was also excited and hoping for the best.

When she was looking for places to live she didn't have money to travel down to Mobile to look at apartments, so she looked at lots of places online and made lots of phone calls. One thing she knew she wanted was a place that would let her have pets, because she wanted to adopterate a dog when she got settled. She was lucky and found a good place.

After she had been here for a few months she started to settle in and began looking on Petfinder. She knew she wanted a black Lab or Lab mix. There was one pup she saw on Petfinder that was on there in late October and into November and even early December. She told herself that if he was still there after she came back from Christmas she would adopterate him. But just before Christmas he got adopterated. Mom was happy that he got a furever home but also a little sad and wondered if she would ever find her dog.

When she got back in January she started looking on Petfinder again and one day she saw these pictures:
I'm having a baby!I'm having a baby!

Naturally, she was totally smitten with me. My description said that I was a very friendly, active boy, but that I laid quietly in my kennel. Mom took the first chance she got to drive over to the shelter to see me. My kennel was the last one on the row and when she walked in all the dogs went nuts, except me. I was just lying there quietly - until she stopped in front of my kennel. Then I went bounding over to her. I took her for a walk and she knew I was her dog.

She couldn't take me home that day because all the paperwork wasn't done, but the next Saturday she came and got me. I was so exciterated that I didn't take ANY naps during the whole 3-day weekend she had with me.

At first she chalked my runny poops up to excitement, but after a few weeks she got worried. I also kept getting redder and redder and patches of furs were falling out and I had hot spots. She freaked out. She took me to the vet and I got medicine which helped with the spots and redness, but I was still itchy. She started reading about allergies and tried me on lots of different foods until she got it right.

We are a team and I help her out with LOTS of stuff and have no idea how she ever managed without ME.

11 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Oh my!

Your story made my mom leak (WAY TO GO)!

This has been a pawesome day as we got to read the stories so many have shared!

Just like when I found my mom, the one she had been looking at was gone and she got me instead!

Happy Thanksgiving Handsome!

We have so much to be thankful fur, eh?

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Lorenza said...

Hi, Beckett!
Thanks for sharing your story!
I know you and your mom are a team!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Stella said...

Oh Beckett, we are just the luckiest two dogs there ever was!

It makes me so happy to hear other stories about adoptinations and stuff. It all just works out so good.

Love and hugs,
Your pal Stella

The Oceanside Animals said...

It's a good thing your mom has got you to keep an eye on her now!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

What a great story - we are having a lot of fun reading all these great adoption stories. It is so nice when you just know you have found the right one. And that goes for both pups and peeps.

Woos, the OP Pack

D.K. Wall said...

What an excellent story about how you picked your mom/ And she almost ended up with the wrong dog, but then learned to wait for you.

Our word of the day is rehog. Which is what Rusty does with the covers when a human makes him share for a minute.

Joe Stains said...

What a GREAT story! You did a good job picking your furever home and human. We are all lucky she adopterated you!

Jake of Florida said...

We understand! The days we got adopterated were certainly the best days of our lives.

We're happy you and your mom are such a good team!

Jake and Just Harry

Ms. ~K said...

Mom found Zack on Petfinder too!!!
Love your doggie bloggie.

Petra said...

What a wonderful story, Beckett! I'm so glad your mom found you!

Anonymous said...

this story is wagg-a-licious!!

this video made me think of beckett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGi2XwzLHHg